FAQ'S - EVENT INFO
When is race day?
Sat 14th March 2020.
Registration opens at 9am.
The start will be at 11.00am.
(to avoid any towpath congestion, we set runners off in groups of approx 50 at a time - everyone will be off before 11.05am).
Where is it?
Race HQ is 'WV Active Aldersley' (Aldersley Leisure Village), Aldersley Rd, Wolverhampton WV6 9NW.
Am I able to park?
Yes, plenty of free car parking, but it does get busy, so please car share if you can.
Are there any changing facilities?
Yes, showers / changing rooms / toilets all at WV Active Aldersley. Please respect these facilities and other 'none event' users on the day.
Take advantage of the onsite cafe serving hot and cold food & Costa Coffees.
Is it chip timed?
Yes, we are using one of the most accurate chip timing systems available today.
What's the route like?
There is a set race route which you MUST follow, but it has purposely minimal signage along it. The first water stop isn't until mile 7, so please carry some if you'll need some before then. YOU EASILY NAVIGATE THE ROUTE BY STAYING ON THE TOWPATH / TRAIL PATH UNTIL YOU'RE TOLD TO LEAVE IT BY A MARSHAL. As long as you pay attention at the few key crossing points (which will be easily signposted) you can't go wrong. You basically follow one canal all the way out, and one trail path most of the way back in. Although this is a 'half-marathon' it's slightly over that distance at approx 14.1 miles rather than the usual 13.1 miles. Terrain includes grass, compressed gravel, mud and a little tarmac at the road crossings. The towpath narrows at certain parts, but still plenty of room for you to overtake others of a more leisurely pace.
What happened to the 'team' categories / entries option?
We've had to change our online entries system and it simply doesn't support team entries. So instead we've added more age awards than ever before.
What about spectators?
The start and finish are in the same location and allows your supporters to wave you off and cheer you back in without having to move. No spectator fees.
When do I get my race number & timing chip?
You collect these from registration (at race HQ) on race morning, this opens at 09.00am. Please arrive in plenty of time to get yours which will be listed alphabetically (surnames) at the collection point. We will have safety pins available but won't complain if you bring your own.
How much is it to enter?
Entries: £25.50 each (this includes all admin & processing fees, you WILL NOT be charged any more at checkout) The event sells out - WE STRONGLY ADVISE YOU TO ENTER EARLY. But in the unlikely event of any places left, they will be sold for £30 (cash only) on race morning, first come first served.
All entries are non-refundable. The staging of events have to be booked and paid for many months in advance. We are however pleased to offer a transfer service. We can swap your place to a friend / relative / team mate etc but you must handle any reimbursment of funds direct with that person, WE ONLY SWAP THE RUNNERS ENTRY DETAILS OVER. To transfer your place, although a simple process, this can ONLY be done on race day morning at the registration area. There is a £1 admin fee payable in cash on the day. You do not need attend, but your replacement MUST arrive at registration BEFORE 10AM and once signed in, we shall complete the transfer. This transfer service is not compatible with strangers off the race waiting list, nor can entries be deferred to another year / or any other event.
First Aid / Health & Safety:
You should be relatively fit, be able to run / jog most of the route and have no known medical conditions which would hinder your run or cause the race organiser concern. Medical support will be present on the day. You are reminded not to run if you feel ill or have a cold or flu on race day as this can be extremely dangerous. Do not take part if you have any respiratory illness or recent medical condition. *If it becomes apparent to the sweep runners that you are in difficulty, ill, or are only able to compete by walking the route / remainder of the route, then you are likely to be asked to retire from the race, remove your race number signifying thus, and make your way back to the start area at your own risk. This may sound harsh but it is for your own health & safety and the safety of other runners who the sweeper runners need to stay close to. No refund will be given under these circumstances. Sorry but no cani-cross at this event.
By entering you are agreeing to abide by the above and all other event rules / policies / disclaimers.
POINTS TO REMEMBER BEFORE ENTERING
- The emphasis is on fun, being outdoors and enjoying the scenery. Don't worry about there being minimal signage, this is what the event is all about. The route follows one canal all the way to Wombourne (although the towpath does cross to different sides sometimes) and follows one trail path most of the way back to Wolverhampton. So as long as you are aware of when to exit the towpath (marshals will be at these points), and pay attention at the road crossing having done so (cross at own risk), you'll easily access the trail path for your return journey. There will be sweeper runners following the last runner to make sure everyone gets round safely.
- There are only TWO water feed stations along the route (one at the Wom Brook section approx 7.5 miles and the other at approx 11.5miles) so please carry a water bottle if you think you'll need some before the 7.5mile mark.
- You are responsible for your own safety when crossing roads (check it's clear!) running along any part of the route and being able to swim / exit canal if you fall in.
- This is shared public land. Please be aware of other members of the public using these paths and trails, you do not have preferential rights of way. Be aware of other persons who may be in your vicinity (fishermen, bikers, leisure walkers etc).
- You will be running along the canal towpath in very close proximity to water. It is essential therefore that ALL competitors are competent swimmers as there are no lifeguards on duty!
Final info & instructions will appear at the bottom of your entry confirmation email (from Entry Central), please read and re-read this BEFORE event day