AWARDS AND CATEGORIES
Custom medal for all runners!
Award Categories Teams:
1st Male Team (of 2 & 3)
1st Female Team (of 2 & 3)
1st Mixed Team (of 2 & 3)
Award Categories Solo Runners:
1st / 2nd / 3rd Male (no age categories)
1st / 2nd / 3rd Female (no age categories)
*note - as this is primarily a team event, there are NO age categories for M/F solo runners!
Don't Forget The 'Best Team Name' Trophy!
Open category which any team can win! Funny, cryptic, motivational, it's up to you. Winner announced on race morning before the start!
GOING SOLO OR TEAM?
Either is fine - Here's the low down:
*Simply enter online, turn up and race!
*Pay attention to 'Route Info' points as you go.
* You just need 1 or 2 willing mates / colleagues / buddies etc.
* Choose your team name - inventive, funny, it's up to you.
* Stay together as you follow the route.
* Your finish time is when ALL your team has crossed the line.
EVENT INFO -
HERE'S ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW
*Race packs / numbers are not sent out - You collect these on race day*
Can I run as a solo entrant?
Yes! You simply enter online as a solo runner like you would any other event.
Can I run in a team?
Yes you can! Your team just needs to consist of 2 or 3 people (male / female or mixed) who are aged 16yrs or above.
Work colleagues, family, mates, running buddies, it's up to you. Just select your team size when you register.
When is race day?
Race day is Sat 23rd March 2019 - The start will be at 11.00am - but runners will be released in waves.
Where is it?
Race starts at 'WV Active Aldersley' (Aldersley Leisure Village), Aldersley Rd, Wolverhampton WV6 9NW.
Am I able to park?
Yes, there's plenty of free car parking, but as always with an event this size it does get busy, so please car share if you can!
Are there any changing facilities?
Yes, we have full access to the showers / changing rooms / toilets at WV Active Aldersley. Please respect these facilities and other 'none event' users on the day.
Can I get onsite refreshments before / after the race?
Yes, you can take full advantage of the onsite cafe.
Serving hot and cold food as well as Costa Coffees.
What are the 'route info points' all about?
There is a set race route which you MUST follow, but there is very minimal signage along
the route. You instead navigate the route using either the downloadable
route info points, or the GPX route data (see 'Points to Remember Before
Entering' below.) It's sort of inbetween an orienterring event and a normal race.
But don't worry, as long as you pay close attention at a few key crossing points
you can't go wrong. You basically follow one canal all the way out, and one trail path all the way back in.
Is it a timed event?
Yes, although the emphasis here is on fun and adventure, we are still using one of the most accurate chip timing systems available today. This doesn't mean you have to be a competitive runner to enter, although it's fine if you want to go out guns blazing! Everyone will have their time recorded no matter how leisurely you want to get round. Stay together if entering as a
team as your finishing time is recorded when the LAST person in your team has crossed the line.
Tell me about the route:
Although this is a 'half-marathon' it's slightly over that distance at almost 13.75 miles rather than the usual 13.1 miles. Terrain includes grass, compressed gravel, mud and a little tarmac at the road crossings. The towpath narrows at certain parts, but still plenty of room for you to overtake others of a more leisurely pace.
On exiting the grounds of WV Active Aldersley you follow the towpath of the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal. Quickly you pass through Smestow Valley, a local nature reserve used for country walks and bird watching so keep em peeled.
At mile 2 on your left (across the water) you can spy Compton Park (Wolverhampton Wanderers training grounds - no boos please!)
Taking in the beautiful scenery and wildlife you'll soon find yourself arriving at Bratch Locks at approx 6.5 miles. This forms one of the prettiest groups of canal buildings on the whole of the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal.
Ducking under the road here (you really have to duck!) you continue along the towpath until just after mile 7 where you exit the canal at Giggetty Lane.
After safely crossing the ajoining Planks Lane, the route continues alongside the little stream of Wom Brook which flows from the nearby village of Wombourne.
Negotiating a dog leg crossing of the brook and the following steps up the embankment you are starting your return journey along the Staffordshire Railway Walk.
This was originally part of the Wombourne Branch Line built between 1912 and 1925 by the Great Western Railway Company and used during The Second World War to transport wounded allied soldiers. Nowadays it's all weather compacted surface makes is an ideal path for your run for home.
Crossing the many old railway bridges it's easy to picture the line in it's working days. It is now home to a variety of wildlife and numerous bird species such as the Sparrow Hawk, Kestral, Barn Owl and Buzzard just to name a few.
You can spot the old stations on the way, some of which have been turned into quaint cafes and coffee shops.
It's full steam ahead following the Railway Walk until your final destination back into WV Active Aldersley.
What about spectators?
Friends and family are encouraged to come along and there are no additional spectator / parking fees. The start and finish are in the same location and allows them to wave you off and cheer you back in without having to move. Toilets within the centre can be used by spectators, as can the cafe area serving hot and cold food and Costa Coffees.
When do I get my race number & timing chip?
You collect these from registration (at the race start area) on race morning, this opens at 09.00am. Please arrive in plenty of time to get yours which will be listed alphabetically (surnames) at the collection point. We will have safety pins available but won't complain if you bring your own!
How much is it and can I enter on the day?
Solo Entries: £25.50 each
Team Entries: £50.00 per team of 2 and £72.00 per team of 3.
(this includes all admin & processing fees, you WILL NOT be charged any more at checkout!)
The event WILL sell out again.
In the unlikely event of any places left, they will be sold at £35 solo runners, £60 per team of 2, £90 per team of 3 on the day
(min age for entries is 16yrs). Please see 'Points to Remember Before Entering' below.
**ALL O.T.D ENTRY RUNNERS MUST HAVE THE MANDATORY KIT - NO EXCEPTIONS - SEE BOTTOM OF PAGE**
Will there be first aid available?
Yes, but you should be relatively fit and have no known medical conditions which would hinder your run or cause the race organiser concern. All abilities are encouraged and welcomed at our races, but you are still expected to be able to comfortably run/jog most the route, no matter how slow. First aid support will be present on the day. You are reminded not to run if you feel ill or have a cold or flu on race day as this can be extremely dangerous. Do not take part if you have any respiratory illness or recent medical condition.
Race Rules, Cancellation & Transfer Policy:
All entries are non-refundable. The staging of events have to be booked and paid for many months in advance.
We are however pleased to offer a transfer service (admin fee applies). We can swap your race place to a friend, relative, team mate etc, but you must handle any reimbursement of funds directly with that person - WE ONLY SWAP THE RUNNERS ENTRY DETAILS OVER.
This transfer service is not compatible with strangers off the race waiting list, nor can any entries be deferred to next years race / any other event.
*To transfer your place - Although a simple process, this can ONLY be done on race day morning at the registration area.
There is a £1 admin fee payable in cash per person transferred. You do not need attend, but your replacement MUST arrive at registration BEFORE 10AM and once signed in, we shall complete the transfer.
If it becomes apparent to the sweep runners that you are in difficulty, ill, or are only able to finish by walking the remainder of the route, then you are likely to be asked to retire from the race, remove your race number and make your way back to the start area. This may sound harsh but it is for your own safety. No refund will be given under these circumstances.
By entering this race you agree to abide by all of the above rules and conditions as well as the disclaimers via the online sign up process.
POINTS TO REMEMBER BEFORE ENTERING
- The emphasis is on fun, being outdoors and enjoying the scenery. Don't worry too much about there being minimal signage. The route follows one canal all the way to Wombourne (although the towpath does cross to different sides sometimes) and follows one trail path all the way back to Wolverhampton. So as long as you are aware of when to exit the towpath, and pay attention at the road crossing having done so, you'll easily access the trail path for your return journey. There are very minimal signs marking the route and marshals are only at the TWO water feed stations. There will however be sweeper runners following the last runner to make sure everyone gets round safely.
- Solo runners must print off and carry a copy of the ROUTE INFO points.
- All teams must print off and carry 2 copies of the ROUTE INFO points per team.
- You can also download a GPX version here: WOLVERHAMPTON TRAIL HALF GPX FILE - (right click to save)
You can then upload this to follow via your Sat Nav / Garmin watch / Strava etc...
- You are self sufficient along the route. There are only TWO water feed stations along the route (one at the Wom Brook section approx 7.5 miles and the other at approx 11.5miles) so you must carry a set minimum amount of kit (see Mandatory kit list below).
- You are responsible for your own safety when crossing roads, running along any part of the route and being able to swim.
- This is shared public land. Please be aware of other members of the public using these paths and trails, you do not have preferential rights of way. Be aware of other persons who may be in your vicinity (fishermen, bikers, leisure walkers etc).
- You will be running along the canal towpath in very close proximity to water. It is essential therefore that ALL competitors are competent swimmers as there are no lifeguards on duty!
MANDATORY KIT LIST
Must be carried to take part in this event
This kit will be checked at registration and solo runners (or your whole team if you are part of one) will not be allowed to run should any items be missing. No refunds / credits / deferrals will be given under these circumstances:
SOLO RUNNERS MUST CARRY:
* At least 1 fully charged mobile phone.
* At least 1 printed out route info points.
* At least 250ml of water.
* At least 1 disposable space / survival blanket.
TEAMS (of 2 or 3) MUST CARRY:
* At least 1 fully charged mobile phone per team.
* At least 2 printed out route info points per team.
* At least 250ml of water per team member.
* At least 1 disposable space / survival blanket per team.
Final race info & instructions are emailed to runners on sign up